Homebodies

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Group 8: Add Texture and/or Color Inspiration


Thank you for stopping by House of Cards Challenge Blog today!
 Group #8 is sharing their creations with you today for 
our current challenge...

Add Texture and/or Color Inspiration


Before we start to show you the cards we’ve a technique to share with you. 
We hope it will get your creativity flowing.
Here is Karen’s How to Create A Textured Background Tutorial 

Tools:
Die cutting machine & dies; or punches
Pencil and ruler; stylus tool; paintbrushes; or tools or cotton wool to apply ink
Supplies:
White or coloured card; snippets of white or coloured card
White acrylic paint; or watercolour paint; or inks; or metallic paints
Pritt stick

After my lovely bosses asked me to create and share a tutorial for adding texture to your background papers or card.  I decided to think about it first because my instant idea was to get very mucky with mixed media techniques.  However, I know not everyone likes to get mucky so I thought about how the non mucky crafters and artists could also try this technique with inks instead of MM supplies if they don’t own them.  This is not my technique, it’s been around for a long time and as I’ve always wanted to try and I thought that it would be ideal for The House of Cards.  I want both mucky and non mucky creators to try it.  So here goes …


I die cut lots of the smallest flower that is on the Tim Holtz Bigz Sizzix die. 
Because everyone doesn’t own die cutting machines or dies you could also do this technique with a punch and if  you don’t own any punches you can draw and cut out easy to create shapes with a pencil and ruler (e.g. squares or rectangles) or you could cut out random shapes (e.g. rough circles). 
You don’t have to own lots of tools to try this technique to.


Once I had die cut plenty of flowers I grabbed a piece of mucky white card (I regularly get ink or paint onto my card stock because I’m a bit mucky when crafting).  You could also use card or paper that you don’t like.  I’ve realised that this is a fabulous way to use up those itty bitty snippets that are left over from our projects too.
Recycling and trying to craft responsibly means a lot to me and I’ve recycled for a long time.

I used a piece of A6 card that was left from another project and that had a dark fingerprint on it.  I used my ruler and pencil to create a three by four grid on the card.
  

Once I had drawn the lines in I played around with the placement of the flowers until I was happy with the look.  I used Pritt Stick to glue my flowers in position.

I added a thin layer of  white acrylic paint and once that was touch dry I grabbed a stylus and plopped white acrylic paint onto the die cut flowers.  The next step was to grab my heat gun and blast over the glued flowers: bubbles, lots of lovely textured bubbles!  That was the result I wanted.

 

I left the card to dry again before using a fine brush to go around the outside of the die cut flowers which is why they catch the light so much. 

I hope I have inspired you to try this technique.  Just remember if you don’t own acrylic paints or watercolour paints you can use ink pads or re-inkers or any other 
water soluble ink to create this look.

Take a peek at what they've got for you...

Karen
I had trouble photographing because of the reflection from the gold paint





Thank you so much for taking time to check out Group 8's creations!  We hope you join in our current challenge.
We love to see your creations! 
 Don't forget to check and see if you are one of our most recent winners, too!  We'll be back on the 1st of the month with a new challenge and more inspiration from the Design Team.
Until then…
Happy Crafting!

2 comments:

Mac Mable said...

Always looking for new techniques and will give this one a try. Loving the idea of using up scraps and maybe using punches etc. Great recycling project. Thank you for the inspiration x

Mynn Kitchen said...

Absolutely AMAZING way to create texture, Karen! BEAUTIFUL work, gals! Sending HUGS to you all! :) Mynn xx