Homebodies

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Group 3: Stitch it Up

Hello everyone! 
Thank you for stopping by House of Cards Challenge Blog today! Group 3 is sharing their creations with you today for our current challenge...

Use Stitching (Real or Faux)




We'll start you off with a tutorial by Jo...



Hi, its Jo here again and this time I'm going to
 share a few tips and hints for including
machine sewing on your cards.

Whether I'm sewing on cardstock or paper I set up my machine
in pretty much the same way as if I'm sewing fabric.
However, I've found that sewing paper
and card 'dulls' my needle pretty quickly so I always change to a newer,
sharper needle when I'm dress-making or doing patchwork.



I wanted a really homespun effect on my card so didn't worry too much
about working in a straight line, especially as I planned to go around twice
for a double-stitched effect. However, if you want a neater finish just
use your stitch guides in exactly the same way as when sewing fabric.


Unfortunately, my machine ran away with me at one point
but I was ok with this as I wanted it to look a little bit wonky!


Finally, I pulled the cotton/thread through to the back
and fixed with some Washi tape.


Here's the finished piece. As you can see I left some loose ends
just for a little added detail.
It really is very simple to include machine sewing on your cards.
and I hope this quick tutorial inspires you to give it a go!


Now for some fantastic inspiration from our Design Team...




Thanks so much for taking time to check out Group 3's creations!  We hope you join in our current challenge, we can't wait to see what you create! Don't forget to check and see if you are one of our most recent winners, too!  We'll be back soon with more inspiration from the Design Team. 
Until then, Happy crafting!

1 comment:

Mynn Kitchen said...

Totally gorgeous tutorial and card, Jo! LOVE the beautiful image you used--the stitched frame is perfect to highlight it! Amazing work, all! HUGS! :) Mynn xx