Homebodies

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Group 3: Metallics

Hello everyone! 
Thank you for stopping by House of Cards Challenge Blog today!

Our current challenge is...
Use metallics on your card


We're going to start you out with a little something to get your creativity going!
Here's Dotty Jo with her "Shaker Card" Tutorial:



Hi, its Jo here with a short tutorial which I think I'll call:
How I made my shaker card!

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to making shaker cards but I 
thought I'd share a few tips which seem to work for me. 

My first top tip is to use Funky Foam to form the 'reservoir' for the sequins. 
I saw Jennifer McGuire use this technique to create a shaker card 
and was impressed with how easy and fuss-free this method appeared. 



I die-cut my top card and used the next die down to cut the foam panel.


The foam panel fits neatly behind the top panel and is totally invisible from the front.


Then I cut a circle in my top panel to act as the window. 


Before cutting a circle in the foam panel I held everything up to the light 
and positioned a larger die to cover the window. I taped this to the foam 
ready for die cutting.


In the picture above you can see how neat and tidy things look from behind. 
In the next picture you can see that the foam is completely 
invisible yet gives a feeling of stability to the front panel.



To make the window I cut a rough circle from acetate being careful to make sure it was large enough to cover the aperture on the front panel. This will be sandwiched between the front panel and the foam so any rough edges are completely hidden. (Make sure your layers go: Top panel, acetate, foam panel.)


Then I picked a selection of sequins to complement my metallic colour combo
and positioned them carefully before sticking the top layers to the card base.


A few finishing touches and the card is complete!



I hope this quick tutorial inspires YOU to make your own shaker card or cards. 
It's a super easy method which guarantees good results. 


Group 3 is also sharing their creations with you today for our current challenge...

Now lets see what fabulous creations the DT have come up with.








Thanks so much for taking time to check out Group 3's creations!  We hope you join in our current challenge, we can't wait to see what you create! Don't forget to check and see if you are one of our most recent winners, too!  We'll be back soon with more inspiration from the Design Team. 
Until then, Happy crafting!

4 comments:

Mynn Kitchen said...

Another AMAZING tutorial, Dotty, and GORGEOUS cards, all! :) HUGS! :) Mynn xx

PLISSA ADD said...

Espectacular trabajos.....bellisimos!!!! estaré pendiente de todas tus bellas creaciones! gracias por compartir...Saludos. Paula-PlissaAdd

Tammy said...

Fabulous tutorial Dotty and beautiful card ladies!
Tammy x

karenlotty said...

Fabulous tutorial and what a great way of using funky foam Makes a good seal for the shaker element Orher cards are beautiful too